Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Essence of Language: The Experiment

Part 1


  • Throughout the discussion with my partner, they usually discussed the topic as normal until I would try to "ask" some form of question through my body language and humming as if I was confused. Because of this, she was unable to immediately tell what I was asking, and it required a little more effort in order to get my question to be understood. Communication was normal, with the exception of her trying to guess what I was asking, building up a sentence word-by-word in correlation to my body language.
  • Although my partner did most of the talking, I was able to dictate the flow of the conversation by using questions to explore other perspectives and aspects of the main topic at hand. Although I usually think a conversation is a balance between each person taking part of the conversation, I felt that I was the one who had the power in this case, as my partner had to cater to my "handicapped" speech in order to continue the topics.
  • The spoken language will probably be easier to utilize in order to express complex ideas, as compared to a society that doesn't use speech. Those that can speak may feel as if they are more intellectual than those who don't use speech as a form of communication, due to the speed and structure of spoken language. A modern situation of this could be an individual who speaks English, trying to communicate with a deaf person who knows ASL. 


Part 2


  • Now that both of us were able to speak, (but I was unable to use any other form of communication or even alter my pitch to a large degree) it was much easier to communicate our ideas. However, my partner felt as if I was not invested enough in the conversation due to a lack of enthusiasm in my voice and lack of body movement throughout. Although they didn't have a hard time understanding what I was trying to say, it didn't feel like a human conversation for the most part.
  • This experiment opened my eyes to how important it really is to use some forms of signs when communicating to others. The signs can be used to distinguish the tone or context of a conversation. In a society of humans where we thrive on being social quite a bit, using signs help keep us engaged in the conversation and enthusiastic about it as well.
  • The adaptive benefit to being able to read body language is being able to see if our own kind is in a certain dangerous state, especially if they are unable to directly communicate that to us. With that information, we can help understand what they need in different situations, therefore leading to their survival in the long run. This body language can also help us understand if the opposite sex is available to mate with, especially in a instinctual sense. If we could never tell these sorts of behaviors, it would be a hit or miss as to if an attempt at reproduction will be successful or not.
  • Those that would have the most difficulty reading body language would be the visually impaired, or the blind. One example as to where this is beneficial, is if the person could hear in someone's voice if they are speaking nervously. If body language were used to create a false sense of being comfortable, using just our sense of hearing could help distinguish the underlying truth of how people are actually feeling during speech.

3 comments:

  1. Good opening description of Part 1.

    "I felt that I was the one who had the power in this case, as my partner had to cater to my "handicapped" speech in order to continue the topics."

    As you correctly describe, you were "handicapped" in the conversation, and yet you feel that you were the one with the power? Could you initiate conversations? Change subjects? Ask complex questions? If you had engaged in this conversation with a stranger, instead of someone you know, would they have tolerated it or just walked away? Did you really have the power in this conversation or did you partner just let you feel like you were in control? In which case, were you ever really in control in the first place? Step back and reconsider your response here.

    Good final section and good example of real life situation that mirrors this experiment.

    I don't disagree with your conclusions regarding the information we receive from body language, but you are only considering the situation where body language matches and supports the information you receive from spoken language. What does it tell you when the body language doesn't match the spoken language? Humans tend to use body language as a type of lie detector. If spoken words don't match with the body language, we are more inclined to believe the body language and doubt the words. Think about how being able to detect liars might help an individual's ability to survive and reproduce (which applies to the next section).

    Yes, those who are blind are limited in their ability to read body language, though they can still hear vocal intonation. Another example would be those in the autism spectrum.

    I'm not following your last point. Why would you want to give up your ability to read body language in this situation? So let's restate the question: When might body language of others mislead you and it would be better to ignore it? Do all cultures use the same system of body language? If you travel to another country, can you trust the information you get from their body language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I really liked how you described your speech as handicapped, it is perfect , not being able to communicate verbally is very difficult, i personally know a little bit of ASL and it was hard too not try to us it when doing this experiment.
    I think it was great that you felt that you were in control of the conversation when you couldn't speak, in my case i was just responding to my friend's questions to the best of my possibilities.

    I agree with you that it was easier to communicate our ideas because we were able to speak, and you made a great a point when you said it felt like a non human conversations because there were no emotions involved in the conversation and it got confusing when the words didn't match with the body language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dante - I think our experiences were similar. I like how you mentioned that when no movement was allowed, that your partner did not feel that you were invested in the conversation. My partner and I felt the same way.
    Great post! Thank you.
    Nancy Alfaro

    ReplyDelete